Product Code: 00648 Capsules per Bottle: 100
Each size 3 vegetarian cellulose capsule contains:
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid and Ascorbyl Palmitate)
Vitamin B-6 (as 50 mg of Pyridoxal 5’ Phosphate)
What is Pyridoxal 5’ Phosphate (P-5-P)?
Pyridoxal 5’ Phosphate (P-5-P) is the phosphorylated form of vitamin B-6, which is the most bioavailable supplemental form of this critical nutrient.
How Does Pyridoxal 5’ Phosphate (P-5-P) Work?
P-5-P, arguably the most important member of the vitamin B-6 group, is the active coenzyme for more than 100 enzymes involved in the metabolism of proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates, thereby playing a key role in digestion and use of dietary nutrients throughout the body [1,2]. Furthermore, P-5-P facilitates the release of stored energy from your liver and muscles and facilitates the production of antibodies and red blood cells [3,4,5]. P-5-P also plays a critical role in both innate and adaptive immune responses .
In relation to the central nervous system, P-5-P-dependent enzymes are involved in the metabolism of the neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin, glycine, epinephrine, norepinephrine, D-serine, L-glutamate, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and histamine, whose levels may be affected by P-5-P deficiency . One important example is the formation of L-glutamate and its breakdown to GABA. L-glutamate and GABA are, respectively, the main excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters in the central nervous system . P-5-P also helps to balance sodium and potassium levels by regulating the electrical functioning of nerves, heart and musculoskeletal system [4, 5].
Several severe neurological disorders and multifactorial neurological pathologies, such as autism, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and some forms of epilepsy have been correlated to inadequate intracellular levels of P-5-P, further demonstrating a requirement of adequate P-5-P for the proper function of the nervous system .
Vitamin B-6 supplementation has also been shown to be beneficial for premenstrual comfort, nausea, and vomiting during pregnancy, and wrist nerve comfort .
What are the Suggested Uses For Pyridoxal 5’ Phosphate (P-5-P)?
- Essential metabolic nutrient for digestion and use of dietary fats, carbohydrates, and protein.*
- Essential nutrient for proper nerve function*
- Supports the normal formation of neurotransmitters*
Source Materials: Ascorbic acid: corn sorbitol. Ascorbyl palmitate: ascorbic acid, palmitic aicd (palm oil). Pyridoxal 5’ phosphate: chemical synthesis. Cellulose for capsules is derived from softwood tree pulp. All ingredients are vegan and non-GMO.
Allergens: According to information provided by our suppliers, these capsules are free of the eight major allergens as identified by the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (FALCPA): Wheat (gluten), eggs, milk, soybeans, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts.
Recommendations: Use as directed by a healthcare professional.
Precautions: Pregnant or lactating women and individuals taking prescription medications should consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplement.
- Paul, Ligi, Per Magne Ueland, and Jacob Selhub. "Mechanistic perspective on the relationship between pyridoxal 5'-phosphate and inflammation." Nutrition reviews71.4 (2013): 239-244.
- Wang, H. S., et al. "Pyridoxal phosphate is better than pyridoxine for controlling idiopathic intractable epilepsy."Archives of disease in childhood 90.5 (2005): 512-515.
- Christen, Philipp, and Perdeep K. Mehta. "From cofactor to enzymes. The molecular evolution of pyridoxal‐5′‐phosphate‐dependent enzymes." The Chemical Record 1.6 (2001): 436-447.
- Sun, Lei, et al. "Crystal structure of the pyridoxal‐5′‐phosphate‐dependent serine dehydratase from human liver."Protein science 14.3 (2005): 791-798.
- Lin, Ping-Ting, et al. "Low pyridoxal 5′-phosphate is associated with increased risk of coronary artery disease." Nutrition 22.11 (2006): 1146-1151.
- Safo, M. K., and R. Contestabile. "Biomedical aspects of pyridoxal 5'-phosphate availability." Frontiers in bioscience (Elite edition) 4 (2012): 897-913.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease