Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B-5) is a component of coenzyme A, which plays an important role in the utilization of fats and carbohydrates in energy metabolism, detoxification, and synthesis of folate derivatives, hormones, and vitamins A and D. Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium D-Pantothenate) supports adrenal function and is often used as part of an adrenal health protocol.*
- Supports adrenal function*
- Nourishes production of acetylcholine*
- Promotes cellular energy production*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Product Code: 00636/00638 Capsules per Bottle: 100/250
Each size 00 vegetarian cellulose capsule contains:
Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium D-Pantothenate)
Other ingredient: L-leucine
What is Pantothenic Acid?
Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) is an essential vitamin and precursor for the synthesis of coenzyme A. Coenzyme A plays an essential role in many biochemical reactions that sustain life, one of which being the citric acid or Kreb’s cycle, which contributes to the production of most cellular energy . Pantothenic acid also plays a role in detoxification and the synthesis of folate derivatives, hormones, and vitamins A and D. Pantothenic acid (as calcium D-pantothenate) is essential for adrenal function and is often supplemented as part of an adrenal health protocol .
How does Pantothenic Acid Work?
Coenzyme A, which is a product of pantothenic acid, is required for cells to make energy from dietary fats, carbohydrates, and protein, as well as energy metabolism, and fatty acid β-oxidation. Coenzyme A is required to process folate, hormones, essential fatty acids, cholesterol, steroid hormones, vitamins A and D, and the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Coenzyme A derivatives are also required for the synthesis of melatonin and heme, a component of hemoglobin. Additionally, the metabolism of a number of drugs and toxins by the liver requires coenzyme A .
One of the most consistent findings in pantothenic acid research has been its essential role in the functionality of the adrenal glands. In early pantothenic acid deficiency, the adrenal gland hypertrophies (overgrows). The eventual result of deficiency is adrenal hypofunction, with an inability to respond appropriately to stress. If pantothenic acid is supplied early enough after deficiency occurs, the response to stress can be rescued and normalized, and morphological changes to the adrenals can be reversed .
Clinical studies suggest that pantothenic acid may also promote skin cell proliferation, anti-inflammatory action, and tissue repair, implicating pantothenic acid as a promising, potential aid in the process of wound healing .
What are the Suggested Uses for Pantothenic Acid?
- Supports adrenal function and normal physiological stress response*
- Nourishes production of acetylcholine*
- Promotes cellular energy production as a precursor for coenzyme A*
Source Materials: Cellulose for capsules is derived from softwood tree pulp. All ingredients are vegan and non-GMO.
Allergens: According to information provided by our suppliers, these capsules are free of the eight major allergens as identified by the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (FALCPA): Wheat (gluten), eggs, milk, soybeans, shellfish, fish, peanuts, tree nuts.
Recommendations: Use as directed by a healthcare professional.
Precautions: Pregnant or lactating women and individuals taking prescription medications should consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplement.
- Bauerly K, Rucker RB. Pantothenic acid. In: Zempleni J, Rucker RB, McCormick DB, Suttie JW, eds. Handbook of vitamins. 4th ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2007:289-314.
- Kelly, Gregory S. "Pantothenic acid." Altern Med Rev 16.3 (2011): 263-74.
- Wiederholt T, Heise R, Skazik C, et al. Calcium pantothenate modulates gene expression in proliferating human dermal fibroblasts. Exp Dermatol. 2009;18(11):969-978. (PubMed)
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.