Selenium is required to produce glutathione and helps with immune system function. Selenium is a trace mineral that is incorporated into important antioxidant enzymes. These enzymes aid the body in fighting cellular damage from free radicals. Our selenium is in the amino acid form L-selenomethionine, which research indicates is better absorbed and more bioavailable compared to other forms of selenium.*
- Potent mineral antioxidant
- Valuable cofactor in detoxification pathways*
- Nourishes and protects the immune system*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Selenium 200 mcg
Product Code: 00433 Capsules per Bottle: 90
Each size 3 vegetarian cellulose capsule contains:
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid)
Selenium (as L-Selenomethionine)
Other ingredients: L-leucine.
What is Selenium?
Selenium (abbreviated as Se on the periodic table of elements) is an essential trace mineral that is incorporated into important antioxidant enzymes and is required to produce the body’s master antioxidant, glutathione. Metabolic Maintenance offers supplementary selenium in the amino acid form, L-selenomethionine, which is better absorbed and more bioavailable than other forms of selenium.
How does Selenium Work?
Selenium, as a component of selenoproteins, is a potent antioxidant. Selenium is essential for the formation and function of glutathione peroxidases, which detoxify hydrogen peroxide and fatty acid-derived hydroperoxides. Glutathione peroxidases help prevent oxidative damage to cell membranes and protect low-density lipoprotein (LDL) from oxidation. Since oxidation of LDL is a factor in the development of atherogenesis, dietary Se may help to protect your cardiovascular health .
Selenium also contributes to proper immune system function. In individuals who were previously deficient, supplementation with Se has been shown to significantly boost immune responses such as increased IFN-g production, T cell proliferation to antigen stimulation, and the percentage of total T cells (especially T helper cells). Se-supplemented subjects have also exhibited rapid clearance of the poliovirus following immunization .
The thyroid is the organ with the highest concentration of selenium as selenoproteins. In addition to contributing to antioxidant defense in the thyroid, selenium is also incorporated into iodothyronine deiodinases, playing an essential role in the metabolism of thyroid hormones .
Selenium is also a cofactor in detoxification pathways. Selenium has been shown to antagonize the effects of a number of toxic metals. Both arsenic  and mercury  toxicity have been counteracted by selenium supplementation.
What are the Suggested Uses for Selenium?
- Potent mineral antioxidant with cardiovascular health benefits
- Thyroid support
- Valuable cofactor in detoxification pathways
- Nourishes and protects the immune system
Source Materials: Ascorbic acid is derived from corn sorbitol. L-selenomethionine is made by chemical synthesis. L-Leucine is made by sugar fermentation. Cellulose for capsules is derived from softwood tree pulp. All ingredients are vegan and non-GMO.
Allergens: According to information provided by our suppliers, these capsules are free of the eight major allergens as identified by the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (FALCPA): Wheat (gluten), eggs, milk, soybeans, shellfish, fish, peanuts, tree nuts.
Recommendations: Use as directed by a healthcare professional.
Precautions: Pregnant or lactating women and individuals taking prescription medications should consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplement.
- Flores-Mateo G, Navas-Acien A, et al. Selenium and coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006;84(4):762-773.
- Broome CS, McArdle F, et al. An increase in selenium uptake improves immune function and poliovirus handling in adults with marginal selenium status. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;80(10:154-62.
- Ventura M, Melo M, Carrilho F. Selenium and thyroid disease: from pathophysiology to treatment. Inter J Endocrinology. 2017Article ID 1297658.
- Sah S, Vandenberg A, Smits J. Treating chronic arsenic toxicity with high selenium lentil diets. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2013 Oct. 1;272(1):256-62.
- Berry MJ, Ralston NV. Mercury toxicity and the mitigating role of selenium. (Berry & Ralston, 2008). 2008 Dec;5(40:456-9.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.