The liver is the top performer when it comes to biochemical processes in our body. Countless reactions involving protein production, detoxification, and metabolism of fats, carbs, and proteins occur there every day. Optimal conditions of balanced blood sugar and normal inflammatory response can support liver health and function. Our potent liver support blend, Metabolic Detox® capsules, combines silymarin from milk thistle, as well as naturally occurring thiol antioxidants, N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) and alpha lipoic acid (ALA). Silymarin expresses membrane-stabilizing and antioxidant activities, promotes liver cell formation, supports normal inflammatory balance, and inhibits fibrogenesis. NAC inhibits hepatocyte apoptosis and oxidative stress pathways and is a precursor for (and regulator of) glutathione synthesis. ALA is a fat and water-soluble molecule that aids in antioxidant defense. It supports healthy glucose metabolism and benefits pathways that support healthy liver tissue.
- Supports liver function*
- Provides antioxidant protection*
- Supports the production of glutathione*
- Supports Phase I and Phase II detoxification*
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Metabolic Detox® Capsules
Product Code: 00217 Capsules per Bottle: 60
Each size 00 vegetarian cellulose capsule contains:
(from Milk Thistle Seed Extract, Silybum marianum, standardized to 80% silymarin)
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Other ingredients: L-leucine.
Our Metabolic Detox® capsules combine the active ingredient silymarin (isolated from the classic liver-supporting botanical, milk thistle) with other naturally occurring thiol antioxidants, N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) and alpha lipoic acid (ALA). Silymarin expresses membrane-stabilizing and antioxidant activities, promotes regeneration of the liver, reduces inflammatory reactions, and inhibits fibrogenesis. NAC inhibits hepatocyte apoptosis and oxidative stress pathways and is a precursor for (and regulator of) glutathione synthesis. ALA is an amphipathic, metabolic antioxidant and detoxification agent, and decreases lipogenesis in the liver.
What is Metabolic Detox®?
Metabolic Detox® capsules are formulated to support Phase I detoxification (chemically transforming lipid-soluble compounds into water-soluble compounds in preparation for detoxification) and Phase II detoxification (modifying Phase I products to increase their solubility and reduce their toxicity) while also offering protection from oxidative damage. This product combines the active ingredient silymarin (from the classic liver botanical milk thistle) with powerful antioxidants N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) and alpha lipoic acid (ALA).
How does Metabolic Detox® Work?
Silymarin is an extract of milk thistle (Silybum marianum), the most common supplement taken to support healthy liver function . Silymarin expresses membrane-stabilizing and antioxidant activities, promotes hepatocyte regeneration (growth of new liver cells), reduces inflammatory reactions, and inhibits fibrogenesis . There is evidence to suggest that silymarin extract may also reduce the toxic effects of other drugs .
Apoptosis, or death of hepatocytes (liver cells), has emerged as a fundamental component of virtually all acute and chronic liver diseases . Silymarin supports cell survival by interfering with cell cycle regulators and proteins involved in apoptosis . Antioxidants might also aid in the prevention of hepatic failure by interfering with the deadly cascade . Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) and N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) are both naturally occurring thiol antioxidants with diverse biological roles.
ALA has been described as a potent biological antioxidant and detoxification agent, it has been used to improve age-associated cardiovascular, cognitive, and neuromuscular deficits, and may modulate inflammation . ALA also decreases the storage of fat in the liver . ALA is an amphipathic molecule meaning its antioxidant effects can take place both in hydrophilic (water-based) and lipophilic (oil/fat-based) environments . Dietary supplementation with ALA has been associated with positive effects in a variety of model conditions associated with an imbalance of redox status, including hepatic disorders .
N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) consistently inhibits apoptosis and interferes with oxidative stress pathways induced by a variety of stimuli . NAC is also a precursor for glutathione synthesis and plays a role in its regulation. Glutathione, the body’s “master antioxidant,'' is essential for a healthy liver for a variety of reasons. Among other roles, glutathione scavenges free radicals and other reactive oxygen species; it reacts with various electrophiles, physiological metabolites (e.g., estrogen, melanins, prostaglandins, and leukotrienes), and xenobiotics (e.g., bromobenzene and acetaminophen) to form mercapturates; it regulates cellular lipid, glucose, and amino acid utilization; and aids in the removal of toxins like formaldehyde from cells . Silymarin is also known to increase hepatic glutathione and may also contribute to the antioxidant defense of the liver .
What are the Suggested Uses for Metabolic Detox®?
- Support liver function with antiapoptotic effects and support for both Phase I and Phase II detoxification.
- Provide antioxidant protection against, and repair from, oxidative damage with ALA, NAC and the upregulation of glutathione production.
Source Materials: Silymarin is extracted from the seeds of milk thistle (Silybum marianum). Alpha lipoic acid: chemical synthesis. Cellulose for capsules is derived from softwood tree pulp. All ingredients are non-GMO.
Allergens: According to information provided by our suppliers, these capsules are free of the eight major allergens as identified by the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (FALCPA): Wheat (gluten), eggs, milk, soybeans, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts.
Recommendations: Use as directed by a healthcare professional.
Precautions: Pregnant or lactating women and individuals taking prescription medications should consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplement.
- Fehér, János, and Gabriella Lengyel. "Silymarin in the prevention and treatment of liver diseases and primary liver cancer." Current pharmaceutical biotechnology 13.1 (2012): 210-217.
- San-Miguel, B., et al. "N-acetyl-cysteine protects liver from apoptotic death in an animal model of fulminant hepatic failure." Apoptosis 11.11 (2006): 1945-1957.
- Shay, Kate Petersen, et al. "Alpha-lipoic acid as a dietary supplement: molecular mechanisms and therapeutic potential." Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-General Subjects 1790.10 (2009): 1149-1160.
- Park, Keun‐Gyu, et al. "Alpha‐lipoic acid decreases hepatic lipogenesis through adenosine monophosphate‐activated protein kinase (AMPK)‐dependent and AMPK‐independent pathways." Hepatology 48.5 (2008): 1477-1486.
- Moini, Hadi, Lester Packer, and Nils-Erik L. Saris. "Antioxidant and prooxidant activities of α-lipoic acid and dihydrolipoic acid." Toxicology and applied pharmacology 182.1 (2002): 84-90.
- Wu, Guoyao, et al. "Glutathione metabolism and its implications for health." The Journal of nutrition 134.3 (2004): 489-492.
- Vargas-Mendoza, Nancy, et al. "Hepatoprotective effect of silymarin." World journal of hepatology 6.3 (2014): 144.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.