The sulfur containing essential amino acid L-methionine is particularly important because it:
Product Code: 00140 Capsules per Bottle: 100
Each size 0 vegetarian cellulose capsule contains:
Description: Sulfur-containing amino acids have been found to be the first limiting amino acid in most human diets . The sulfur containing essential amino acid L-methionine is the most efficiently utilized of all forms of methionine . L-Methionine is known as an antioxidant, a detoxifier, and a protective agent, as it is involved with DNA methylation, synthesis, and repair .
Uses: S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe), the first step in the breakdown of methionine, is a key metabolite that regulates hepatocyte growth, death, and differentiation . SAMe can only be synthesized when methionine levels are adequate, and decreased hepatic SAMe biosynthesis is a consequence of all forms of chronic liver injury . Therefore, methionine supplementation may aid in the maintenance and function of a healthy liver.
Likely due to the fact that L-methionine is used to create creatine, which provides muscles with short-term chemical energy, supplementing L-methionine may help patients reach a healthy body weight, and strengthen bone, especially when combined with an exercise regimen .
There is clinical evidence to show that dietary methionine is crucial for the health of the intestine as well as the immune system (specifically, gut-associated lymphoid tissue) during development and growth, and in states of inflammation [5, 6]. L-Methionine’s role in the metabolism of fatty substances helps to support blood flow and function of healthy arteries .
L-Methionine is also essential for the production of collagen, which is a primary component in connective tissue such as skin and cartilage . Healthy tendons, ligaments, bone, hair and fingernails also require synthesis of significant amounts of collagen. These anti-inflammatory, differentiation, and regenerative effects also support a role for methionine in general wound healing and recovery from injury or disease.
Source Materials: L-Methionine is made by chemical synthesis. Cellulose for capsules is derived from softwood tree pulp. All ingredients are vegan and non-GMO.
Allergens: According to information provided by our suppliers, these capsules are free of the eight major allergens as identified by the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (FALCPA): Wheat (gluten), eggs, milk, soybeans, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts.
Recommendations: Use as directed by a healthcare professional.
Precautions: Pregnant or lactating women and individuals taking prescription medications should consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplement. Because about one-half of methionine is metabolized by the liver, methionine supplementation may be ineffective in alcoholic liver disease .
- Kies, Constance, Hazel Fox, and Simon Aprahamian. "Comparative value of L-, DL-, and D-methionine supplementation of an oat-based diet for humans." The Journal of nutrition 105.7 (1975): 809-814.
- Kune, Gabriel, and Lyndsey Watson. "Colorectal cancer protective effects and the dietary micronutrients folate, methionine, vitamins B6, B12, C, E, selenium, and lycopene."Nutrition and cancer 56.1 (2006): 11-21.
- Mato, José M., and Shelly C. Lu. "Role of S‐adenosyl‐L‐methionine in liver health and injury." Hepatology 45.5 (2007): 1306-1312.
- Huang, Tsang-Hai, et al. "A Methionine-Restricted Diet and Endurance Exercise Decrease Bone Mass and Extrinsic Strength but Increase Intrinsic Strength in Growing Male Rats–3." The Journal of nutrition 144.5 (2014): 621-630.
- Ruth, Megan R., and Catherine J. Field. "The immune modifying effects of amino acids on gut-associated lymphoid tissue." Journal of animal science and biotechnology 4.1 (2013): 27.
- Robert F. Grimble; The Effects of Sulfur Amino Acid Intake on Immune Function in Humans, The Journal of Nutrition, Volume 136, Issue 6, 1 June 2006, Pages 1660S–1665S
- Novo, Erica, and Maurizio Parola. "Redox mechanisms in hepatic chronic wound healing and fibrogenesis."Fibrogenesis & tissue repair 1.1 (2008): 5.
- Rojkind, Marcos, et al. "Connective tissue biomatrix: its isolation and utilization for long-term cultures of normal rat hepatocytes." The Journal of cell biology 87.1 (1980): 255-263.
- Charles S Lieber; S-Adenosyl-L-methionine: its role in the treatment of liver disorders, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 76, Issue 5, 1 November 2002, Pages 1183S–1187S.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.