Product Code: 00134 Capsules per Bottle: 60
Each size 3 vegetarian cellulose capsule contains:
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid)
Setria® Glutathione (Reduced Form)
Other ingredients: L-leucine.
Setria® is a registered trademark of Kyowa Hakko Bio Co, Ltd.
What is L-Glutathione (Reduced)?
Glutathione is a sulfur-containing tripeptide made up of the amino acids cysteine, glycine, and glutamate. As the body’s “master antioxidant,'' glutathione neutralizes damaging free radicals and peroxide molecules and boosts the utilization and recycling of other antioxidants, namely vitamins C and E, alpha lipoic acid, and CoQ10.
There are two forms of glutathione, reduced glutathione or L-glutathione, is the active form, and oxidized glutathione (GSSG), the inactive form. However, GSSG can be reactivated in the body by glutathione reductase to be used again. Optimal amounts of L-glutathione are necessary for supporting the immune system and help the liver to detoxify chemicals.
Until recently, the bioavailability of orally supplemented L-glutathione was questioned. However, oral dosages of Setria® glutathione, specifically, have been shown to increase glutathione levels within the body stores of healthy adults .
How does L-Glutathione (Reduced) Work?
Glutathione is an antioxidant that plays an important role in cellular defense, nutrient metabolism, and regulation of cellular events (such as gene expression, DNA and protein synthesis, cell proliferation and apoptosis, signal transduction, cytokine production and immune response, and protein glutathionylation) throughout the body [2, 3]. Glutathione deficiency contributes to oxidative stress, which plays a key role in aging and the pathogenesis of many diseases .
Glutathione is found to be most concentrated, respectively, in the liver, spleen, kidney, lens, red, and white blood cells, which supports the fact that glutathione deficiency has been linked to a number of disease states in these tissues and cell types . In specific relation to the immune system, glutathione deficiency is known to impair immune function . Because serious glutathione depletion can occur under conditions of trauma and stress, maintenance of adequate glutathione levels may enhance immunocompetence and thus improve the ability of patients to recover from illness or physical stress .
What are the Suggested Uses for L-Glutathione (Reduced)?
- Aids in the natural detoxification systems of the body*
- Supports proper immune function*
- Acts as an antioxidant and boosts activity of other cellular antioxidants*
Source Materials: Ascorbic acid: corn sorbitol. L-glutathione and L-leucine: fermentation. Cellulose for capsules is derived from softwood tree pulp. All ingredients are vegan and non-GMO.
Allergens: According to information provided by our suppliers, these capsules are free of the eight major allergens as identified by the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (FALCPA): Wheat (gluten), eggs, milk, soybeans, shellfish, fish, peanuts, tree nuts.
Recommendations: Use as directed by a healthcare professional.
Precautions: Pregnant or lactating women and individuals taking prescription medications should consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplement.
- Richie, John P., et al. "Randomized controlled trial of oral glutathione supplementation on body stores of glutathione."European journal of nutrition 54.2 (2015): 251-263.
- Wu, Guoyao, et al. "Glutathione metabolism and its implications for health." The Journal of nutrition 134.3 (2004): 489-492.
- Deneke, SUSAN M., and BARRY L. Fanburg. "Regulation of cellular glutathione." American Journal of Physiology-Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology 257.4 (1989): L163-L173.
- Pastore, Anna, et al. "Analysis of glutathione: implication in redox and detoxification." Clinica chimica acta 333.1 (2003): 19-39.
- Robinson, Malcolm K., et al. "Glutathione depletion in rats impairs T-cell and macrophage immune function." Archives of Surgery 128.1 (1993): 29-35.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.